This post is a quick summary of 6 best practices IntelliResponse, Inc. recommends to improve the online customer service experience. The basis of the research leading to these tips is a Forrester report indicating that an average retailer could receive 2.8 million unresolved customer service visits to their company website each year, resulting in a estimated $12 million in avoidable online customer service costs.(1)
1. Let customers ask questions using natural language.
2. Don’t hide your web self-service functionality. Make web self-service visuals prominent and easy to use.
3. Use compelling, inviting visuals to demonstrate that you want customers to
engage with you on the website. Consider a virtual agent or brand mascot.
4. Deliver the one right answer. Your web self-service tool should be able to find and serve the right answer, not a menu of options.
5. Improve the likelihood of resolution with links to contextually relevant information — put hyperlinks within answers so people can explore further.
6. Have an escalation strategy. Keep customer contact information on display – keep customer service contact information front and center
(1)“Web Sites That Don’t Support Customers’ Goals Waste Millions”, Forrester Research Inc., February 17, 2010
This IntelliResponse infographic breaks down the cost of online customer service.