Need a customer support solution, but not sure what features to look for? If you're a fast-growing business, you probably don't have the time — or the budget — for long software deployments or expensive implementation projects. You need a helpdesk solution, and you need it now! With cloud computing, it's easy to get up and running fast with all the functionality you need to offer awesome support and make your customers happy. If you're reading customer support solution reviews or looking for the best helpdesk solution, be sure to check for these six "must-have" features:
- Multi-Channel Support. In today's hyper-connected world, customers reach out on a variety of channels (and sometimes more than one). You need to know them wherever you meet them, and be able to help from anywhere. It's essential to have a helpdesk solution that brings together web, email, phone, and social into one easy-to-use agent console, so no customer ever falls through the cracks, and you can seamlessly manage cases from multiple channels.
- Knowledge Base. Make sure your helpdesk solution lets you consolidate all of your support content in one powerful knowledge base. It's best to have a knowledge base that can be updating as simply as cutting and pasting content, so your service team can update solutions without needing a web designer, and everyone has the answers they need, right at their fingertips.
- Self-Service. Today's customers like to find their own answers, with a whopping 72% stating that they'd rather use self-service than pick up the phone or email support. For small businesses, providing self-service is also a cost-effective way to offer 24/7 support for your customers. If you're evaluating a new helpdesk solution, make sure that it includes an easy way to share your knowledge base information with customers so they can find their own solutions. (And for best practices on offering self-service, check out our e-book here.)
- Business Insights and Performance Monitoring. Data from your support solution can be your secret weapon for success. When you can easily access information like performance monitoring, as well as C-SAT (customer satisfaction scores), customer health indicators, and customer wants and preferences, your data can drive improvements to almost every aspect of your business. See how your agents are performing, and get the data you need to optimize your support team. Or track the most requested customer features. When you look at a helpdesk solution, make sure that it makes it easy to get the insights you need to make faster, smarter decisions.
- Integration with Sales. Couldn't your sales reps be more effective if they knew whether customers had any problems with your products or services? Couldn't they offer better cross-sell opportunities if they know more about customer needs and preferences? And wouldn't your support agents make an impact on the bottom line by adapting the level of service offered to your most valuable customers, or the ones with the biggest open opportunities? Connecting service with a CRM like Salesforce can be a huge win so be sure that your helpdesk solution provides this capability.
- Mobile SDK. These days, it's not just about the product or service you sell. You're competing on the overall customer experience that you offer. To make it as easy as possible for customers, you need to integrate your support in with your product itself. (Think Amazon.com's SOS button.) If you're building an online product, you need to include links to your support content on your web pages, as well as forms for opening tickets. And if you're offering a mobile app, you need to include support within it. Make sure that any helpdesk or customer support solution that you consider includes a mobile SDK so you can build help right into your app!